THE DAY I BECAME A HERO

Who would have thought such a scenic place would turn so deadly?

It was August 15, and we were all supposed to go for a picnic! ‘Around 11 am all four families were ready with their picnic baskets. We kids, that is, my brother, my friend and I, were really excited. After reaching there our moms made arrangements to sit under a tree. The gents started playing cards and the ladies were busy chatting. Initially we kids enjoyed climbing on the tree, but after some time got bored. Suddenly my brother exclaimed:

“Oh look! There’s a stream down there!”

Without informing our parents, we ran towards the stream. The water of the stream was crystal clear and knee-deep, which was just perfect for us. My brother and my friend started exploring the banks of the stream while I sat with my feet dipped into the water. I started throwing pebbles into the water, which created ripples and had an enchanting effect on me. I don’t know how long I sat there, completely mesmerized.

And then I heard  frantic screams.

Both my brother and my friend were waist deep in mud on the other side of the stream. I yelled “Guys! Come out of the mud!” but their reply frightened the hell out of me. They said “It’s not mud! It’s quicksand! We’re sinking! Help!”

I was terribly scared and tried to call my mom and dad. But they were pretty far away, and there wasn’t a chance they’d be able to hear me. I went towards the guys, carefully avoiding the quicksand. I grabbed my friend’s hand and was successful in pulling him out. Then both of us pulled my brother out. Both of them were dripping quicksand. When both of them came out, I thanked God. My brother said “Didi! You’re a Superman!” My friend corrected him and said “No, she’s a Supergirl!” In my heart I knew that I had become their hero that day.


-      Deepali Trivedi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AND SHE MEANT ‘LEAVE MY BABY ALONE!’

AND THERE HE WAS WITH A STONE IN HIS HAND

EVEN DEATH COULDN’T STOP HER FROM SAYING GOODBYE